Thread: The Simpsons

Deleted user

For an animated show that has been on for over 20 years now, I assume most of us here are aware about The Simpsons. Discuss anything related to this show.

Well I for one, first watched the Simpsons at the age of 4. The tone of the comedy and even original design in the Simpsons is what made me drawn into the show. Then later on, I became a huge fan of the Simpsons. I would quote the most famous quotes from the show all the time, even though some people couldn't get what I was talking about at times (I even sometimes quote from the Simpsons today).

My favourite seasons were from 1-12. Most of the episodes in those seasons were the golden moments in the Simpsons, especially from seasons 4-6. And yes, even I can appreciate the old Matt Groening design in Season 1. Although, when the show had more seasons after season 12, the use of comedy easily lost it's fun and caring charm. The humour became rather "Spongebob-ish" or even "Family Guy-ish", which made the entire show out of place. Even the character themselves were changed to a whole different level. I am aware that characters need to change so they will not portray the same kind of routine because it get's old. But the way the Simpsons have changed in later seasons have turned "looney" rather than quite realistic.

Homer is now annoying rather than being stupid funny. Bart became more of a wuss than a little hell raiser. And one of my favourite supporting characters Moe is now more creepy and suicidal than being the grumpy bar tender.

Even the past events are told now in the later season are extremely incorrect and just down right careless. Homer and Marge never first met each other at college in the 90's (remember Homer and his band's hit "Margarine"? Please don't remind me). They originally met each other in high school in the late 70's and I do think most fans who grew up watching this show are going to see it that way.

I do appreciate the old Simpson classics before season 12, but seeing Simpsons still on today… I think the show needs to stop airing right away.

Deleted user

they did go a little too far with humor, making it more and more like Family Guy. I'm sorry, but Family Guy is one of teh most disturbing shows on the face of te planet. Simpsons didnt use to be like it, but are now starting to take that sick route.

i started watching at age 4 also. o_O

Deleted user
they did go a little too far with humor, making it more and more like Family Guy. I'm sorry, but Family Guy is one of teh most disturbing shows on the face of te planet. Simpsons didnt use to be like it, but are now starting to take that sick route.

i started watching at age 4 also. o_O

Then you probably started watching the Simpsons when the seasons at the time were slowly starting to change a bit. But of course, many channels played repeat episodes of the show. So maybe you are familiar with the older seasons.

I find most PG13 or 18 rating shows to become a bit more like Family Guy these days compared to shows like these in the past. Shows like The Simpsons, Robot-Chicken and even South Park (although I like the show, mostly the older seasons) are now focusing too much of shock value and low brow comedy. Sure, sometimes I don't mind watching Family Guy or some of the later seasons of South Park, but it's usually a hit or miss when it comes to its sense of humour. I prefer watching something underrated or something that has so much potential but not that much appreciation. Maybe Groening should continue with Futurama? But at least the show is coming back on this year.

Yeah it seems like I'm going a bit off topic here, so let me go back on topic.

Here is one favourite Simpsons scene I like.

User image

Usually music helps Daddy think.

Deleted user

I know the Simpsons did change. Although, it seemed to have gone back to normal with the Simpsons movie, which was a little more like the older ones. I agree witht the humour becoming more Family Guy-ish, which is not that bad of a thing on my part because I love Family Guy, but yeah I liked the older Simpsons better.

Deleted user
I know the Simpsons did change. Although, it seemed to have gone back to normal with the Simpsons movie, which was a little more like the older ones. I agree witht the humour becoming more Family Guy-ish, which is not that bad of a thing on my part because I love Family Guy, but yeah I liked the older Simpsons better.

Not entirely. The Simpsons Movie still had the random unnecessary humour and slight screw ups in the movie too. It had as much recognizable cameos that you've seen in the past from many shots of massive crowds in the movie. which I thought the add of details and design there was pretty superb.

But there was one thing that kind of bugged me when I re-watched the film again.

When Homer watched the bits of the wedding tape after Marge's "goodbye" recording on the tape, you see the young Marge and young Homer dancing with Patty, Selma, Abe and Mrs. Bouvier in the background. Marge and Homer's design was the same as in the episode I Married Marge, but the only problem is that there was no one at their wedding since they couldn't afford an expensive wedding. So you can see the writers for the Simpsons now and even during the movie have been screwing up the Simpsons' family timeline and past.

One thing that annoys me about the simpsons in NZ is THEY PLAY THE SAME EPISODES OVER AND OVER!
They don't show the classics like homer making the canyon jump any more, its just endless repeats of the same stale episodes!

Deleted user
One thing that annoys me about the simpsons in NZ is THEY PLAY THE SAME EPISODES OVER AND OVER!
They don't show the classics like homer making the canyon jump any more, its just endless repeats of the same stale episodes!

Now that would be annoying to see. I think the networks in Portugal would only play the latest season in the present year. Kind of a shame they don't play the older episodes anymore over there. Thank god I live in Canada, where you can at least watch some of the older seasons in different channels. But it seems a lot of channels keep playing the later seasons recently these days. emoji