Thread: Really Random thread

…and I told her to get them as download only vouchers, as opposed to physical discs emoji

User image

I told her to get them as download only vouchers, as opposed to physical discs emoji

Why on Earth would you not want to have physical copies?? What benefit could having download-only possibly have??

You got it! Finally. I don't understand why people think a cloud is safe storage. One day that cloud will go offline y'know. A disc will never go offline, it's simply there.

Maybe he doesn't want his mom to break the discs.

A little hard to do with a BluRay. Never seen a scratched BluRay. Not even my careless uncle managed to break my Frozen disc after dropping it, putting the label up top, fiddgeting it in his BR player. Ugh, my teeth still hurt from grinding them. emoji

Yes, the month between September and November is finally here! Everybody cheer up for Nostalgiaween!

Hotel Transylvania 2 is out since the 25th of September, but here it comes into cinemas on the 31st of October. This is actually great timing, going to the cinema on Halloween is a great way to celebrate (sadly, nobody goes trick or treating over here or anything like that…emoji. However, I want to see the movie as soon as possible (it's been a long time since I last went to the cinema, more than a month for sure)… oh, well, I guess I have to wait another month.
Speaking of Halloween, do you celebrate it?

Yes, the month between September and November is finally here! Everybody cheer up for Nostalgiaween!

Hotel Transylvania 2 is out since the 25th of September, but here it comes into cinemas on the 31st of October. This is actually great timing, going to the cinema on Halloween is a great way to celebrate (sadly, nobody goes trick or treating over here or anything like that…emoji. However, I want to see the movie as soon as possible (it's been a long time since I last went to the cinema, more than a month for sure)… oh, well, I guess I have to wait another month.
Speaking of Halloween, do you celebrate it?

I personally think that the Halloween (the classic American type) is pretty good, makes people think of all the scary stuff while keeping it lightweight. AND it makes people go creative with costumes!
Yet… it's hated around here? Why? Because it's now typical for America! So instead at the same time we celebrate another thing, but we are more or less remembering our dead relatives and we are all rather sad.

Nope, most of us don't celebrate it here in Indonesia. It's also not considered a national holiday. However, you can expect some Halloween special events here, like costume contests. And maybe some discounts? Huh, Jakarta. Our capital, not just the centre of the government, but also the centre for shopping! Expect the malls to create Halloween events.

Don't expect any Halloween events in other areas, especially Aceh

Yet… it's hated around here? Why? Because it's now typical for America! So instead at the same time we celebrate another thing, but we are more or less remembering our dead relatives and we are all rather sad.

Because of America? Partly maybe, but here it's criticized mostly by the Church - it's quite obvious they don't dig the idea of celebrating monsters, 'demons' and whatnot.

It's important to note, that the mentioned tradition of 'remembering dead' and visiting graves on All Saints Day was actually borrowed from the old Slavic holiday occuring around the same time, so it's pretty rooted in our culture. The fact that Halloween is having hard time competing with it in these parts is no suprise and honestly… I wouldn't ditch that tradition myself.

I told her to get them as download only vouchers, as opposed to physical discs emoji

Why on Earth would you not want to have physical copies?? What benefit could having download-only possibly have??

Ever seen a parent messing around with a disc?
Not pretty.

everyone it looks like rude humour is back to r and c!!!

What I've noticed in the past few years is that more and more people here seem to acknowledge Halloween and celebrate it in one way or another. Whether by watching scary movies, going to themed parties, buying special Halloween items, etc. This makes me happy, because I've always loved the idea of dressing up in some creepy costume and have fun by scaring other people and getting scared yourself. I've always done something for Halloween, I'm always that weirdo that goes to school dressed up as a mad scientist, werewolf, skeleton, etc. One time I convinced my parents to buy a big plump pumpkin: it turned out as a great jack-o'-lantern and we used the content to make some delicious pumpkin pie. Great times. Many people still think it's not that big of a deal and consider it to be foolish or childish or whatever, but I hope that in the future more people will care about Halloween as much as I do.

Kids don't appear to celebrate Halloween here, but teenagers generally enjoy going out for parties all dressed up. That is pretty much the full extent of this holiday here. I have never celebrated Halloween, nor have I ever known anyone else that celebrated Halloween. It just isn't really a holiday in this area of the world.

When I was really young, I tried to celebrate it once with my brother by buying heaps of chocolate and lollies and eating it while we played Ratchet: Gladiator all night together. That was some dedication towards an event nobody cares about right there.

I never really cared much for Halloween.
Over here it was always tradition to go out for candy on All Saints Day. Now that I think about it, it was more like something to keep the kids busy while most of the adults were out, but it was still pretty nice. I certainly preferred going out for candy during the day, even if it meant we couldn't wear costumes without getting weird looks.
Although nowadays kids over here are so obsessed with american culture that they've started celebrating Halloween as if it was an actual holiday here. Going out for candy on All Saints Day is just for "little kids" whose parents don't let them go out at night now. Kind of a shame that all they get are leftovers from the night before…

I guess this is what being a grumpy old man feels like emoji

I guess this is what being a grumpy old man feels like emoji

I think I'm a grumpy old man at 16. emoji