Thread: The poll discussion thread

Christmas: The most confusing holiday of the year, because the TV always associated it with snow, and the Santa hats are extremely inappropriate when it's the middle of SUMMER! emoji

As for the poll: 3 people (so far) are the reason why Ratchet is the worst character of all of the games I play right now… even Rayman has more character than him, because at least Rayman is overly wacky and has a severe mental disability. Which just straight-up makes him more interesting

I'm… nah. Ratchet is a sweet, heroic, funny Lombax with much integrity. I don't think he's flawless hero at all. Flaws are what make characters who they are. I find Ratchet isn't a stereotype hero (judgeing from my beloved Future Saga). He's more like Nathan Drake than Superman. It's an IG game and that is greatly reflected upon Ratchet's personality. Especially after R&C1. Where was just..

User image

As for the poll: 3 people (so far) are the reason why Ratchet is the worst character of all of the games I play right now

Who are the 3 people you mean?

Christmas: The most confusing holiday of the year, because the TV always associated it with snow, and the Santa hats are extremely inappropriate when it's the middle of SUMMER! emoji

Oh yeah, you live in the Southern Hemisphere! How hot is it there? And for the Christmas Fever, it hadn't really hit Indonesia. Also for the association of it with snow, it's more inappropriate here. NZ has winter, while this is a tropical country!

There's no Christmas feel here. Everyone is mad because of this:

User image

A fell people lable it as racist and now a billion year old tradition becomes:

User image

I wish The Netherlands was a little more like Belgium. They have the same tradition and didn't give the 'heretics' the same attention.

I realise this isn't an extremely popular opinion, but I did enjoy the Ratchet we came to know from R&C:ToD through to ACiT. He wasn't as funny, but at least he wasn't like he is in A4O.

In ITN he was a little better, but the ideal way he should be was through the Future games, where a lot of his character was displayed in contrast to other more extreme and personal characters (Clank in ToD and Azimuth in ACiT). Although I will always miss the days when Ratchet could make me laugh like in the PS2 days, but that Ratchet is long dead now and he won't bother anyone ever again.

The problem is that the main playable characters in every game is really really boring and generic. Cole, Nathan Hale, Capelli, Sev (Killzone), Borderlands peeps and Ratchet are all so serious (or DEAD SILENT!!!!) and need to lighten up a little. I mean yea, I'd hate for Cole to have been any less serious about the situation, but Sucker punch (or other people) could make a game that plays like inFamous, but isn't a serious right?

Sunset Overdrive doesn't count because they go a little too far in the opposite direction to actually have a a story.

Again I feel like one of the few here that enjoys a more serious character. I'm not a big fan of anti heroes..

However, I do like to play a little 'sarcastic Hawke' in Dragon Age 2.

Who are the 3 people you mean?

The 3 people that voted for generic hero Ratchet

Oh yeah, you live in the Southern Hemisphere! How hot is it there? And for the Christmas Fever, it hadn't really hit Indonesia. Also for the association of it with snow, it's more inappropriate here. NZ has winter, while this is a tropical country!

The entire region I live in doesn't get snow. I've never seen it fall from the sky in real life, but I have seen it all over the ground when visiting places further down south (and/or of much higher altitude).

We here celebrate all the Christian holidays simply because of tradition. I don't know anyone that is actually religious though.

Again I feel like one of the few here that enjoys a more serious character. I'm not a big fan of anti heroes..

I'm not huge into anti-heroes either… would you consider any of the PS2 Ratchet's anti-heroes?

Well then again, I've never really known a character that is a true anti-hero.

"Dead Silent"? Most of the playable characters in the Ace Combat series are always silent, not even saying a word! But they are always better silent, because in Assault Horizon, Bishop, the playable character, could speak, but he sometimes says "sh*t". Even my fellow AC fan friend said, "Bishop speaks too much rubbish"

Any of the Ratchet's? No not really. Ratchet was never the guy that unwillingly stumbled through the battlefield.

I don't like silent protaginists either. Especially like most of the older BioWare games. Where you character talks with text only while everyone else does speak. Makes your character like a 'local down idiot savant'.

There's no Christmas feel here. Everyone is mad because of this:

User image

A fell people lable it as racist and now a billion year old tradition becomes:

User image

I wish The Netherlands was a little more like Belgium. They have the same tradition and didn't give the 'heretics' the same attention.

If what they are trying to do is offer more diversity in the colours of that costume, I find that to be a perfect example of irony. What is wrong with becoming black. It's just a colour. It means nothing! It the person behind the skin that makes the difference.

Metal Gear Solid V is all about that sort of stuff, too bad it was not early enough to save your planet-old tradition.

Maybe Namco always make the protagonists in Ace Combat silent to show that they have a calm personality. Always calm, even in the middle of a dogfight (which is logically almost impossible, unless you almost pass out due to the G-Force)

"Dead Silent"? Most of the playable characters in the Ace Combat series are always silent, not even saying a word! But they are always better silent, because in Assault Horizon, Bishop, the playable character, could speak, but he sometimes says "sh*t". Even my fellow AC fan friend said, "Bishop speaks too much rubbish"

Well when the character has stupid one-liners like the Borderlands people, then I find it to be really annoying most of the time.

What I want games to do is not be afraid to allow the main character (who we play as) to respond to other characters or even spark conversations. Like what Ratchet, Cole and Nathan Drake do all the time in their games.

Even Nathan Hale in Resistance 2 got it right, he was free to speak all he wanted. But it was Capelli's horrible transformation for Resistance 3 that really let me down.

you almost pass out due to the G-Force

Do you by any chance know what G-force is?

If what they are trying to do is offer more diversity in the colours of that costume, I find that to be a perfect example of irony. What is wrong with becoming black. It's just a colour. It means nothing! It the person behind the skin that makes the difference.

Metal Gear Solid V is all about that sort of stuff, too bad it was not early enough to save your planet-old tradition.

Agreed. They're black/brown because of the dirt in chimneys. That's how the story goes. Try climbing through a chimney and come out white as snow. I bet you can't. So.. are chimneys racist? Because labor in chimneys equals becoming black? I'm taking this really far, but so are the 'heretics'.

Really? I should pick up the copy of MGS4 I bought recently. Maybe give the series on last chance…

In Dead Space 1 Isaac doesn't speak. In Dead Space 2 and 3 they gave him as voice and a lot of fans went ballistic. I personally prefer my character to add something to the story himself. Rather than him being a vessel that guides me through it. There's a few things I judge games on and in this order:

- Voice actors in the game (Jen Hale or Ali Hillis are an automatic green lit emoji )
- Story
- Protagonist voice over yes/no
- Gameplay
- Gender protagonist

User image

Really? I should pick up the copy of MGS4 I bought recently. Maybe give the series on last chance…

Don't bother. MGS4 is a fan-service to all the MGS1 and 2 fans out there. It just tries to tie up all the loose ends (AND DOES AN AMASING JOB). Just wait for MGSV to come out really cheap and try that one out. Kojima said it will be the of the few games in the series that can be played without worrying about back-story (like Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3).

The game already has a 'greenlit' because of Naomi Hunter (Jennifer Hale). So I'm gonna play it anyway. Might as well use it to judge the rest of the series. So far I've played 1, 2 and 3. I've played 2 the longest (which was that long). But the moment your outside as Raiden I remember getting stuck on something and just put the disc back in the box.