Thread: RaC fan art thread

Because I'm a copycat like that, I decided to make a fan art thread to coincide with the fan fiction thread. So…
Who here is a lombax/RaC artist, raise your hands!
Any art you'd like to show off from here, or another site, then post the links here and we'll try to give each other improvement tips, and if you're so amazing that there's no way you can improve, then I'll just praise you and give you teh internet cookies, hehehe :P

So, to start. Here is my DA gallery, go on, go wild XD http://lombax-world-creator.deviantart.com/gallery/

(PS: I may start taking requests soon after my exams in 2-3 weeks emoji)

Deleted user

I think there's already a R&C Fanart thread? Or do you reckon this should stay as the new one or so?

Heh anyway, I think you have some pretty nice fanart too though. You're good with drawing the Lombaxes emoji that's something I need to improve with (Ratchet just doesn't look that good in my style…emoji

But as for improvement, I can see you have improved a lot since I first saw your work a while back but I think your colouring and shading could be cleaner and better emoji unless you're still practicing with it? What programs do you use? And do you have a drawing Tablet? I think your posing work is alright too at where you're at.

Let me know if you want more advice too, since I'm always here to give it if anyone wants it emoji

And as for my art, I posted most of my R&C art to the Fanart area here, already but I do have a lot that is exclusive to my Fallen Star site. I wouldn't mind if I could get advice… I don't get it very often, besides from Tipsy of course emoji

Oh yeah, I'm still working on my colouring and lineart XD (Ben Anderson helps me out with that, and sometimes oOWhiplashOo/Kitten).
I use Photoshop CS5 for all my shizz, and an extremely ooold graphics tablet that I borrowed from college. I did do an improvement meme somewhere or the past 3 months.. http://lombax-world-creator.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2q82vo

I saw your art, I absolutely love it! I think perhaps the anatomy is a little off in some places, but that's mainly when it's drawn at a funny angle that you don't see that often. Do you use references? They might be helpful for more difficult angles.
It seems you have a lot more fluidity and control in your traditional drawings. Do you draw directly onto the computer or do you scan in sketches first? Whatever you do, try the opposite and see how it looks emoji

And are you talking about the fan art section? I think they're great, but not alot of passers-by may know it's there. I think if we made this thread a sticky or something, it may be more noticeable, and people can ask for feedback if they want to as well :P

Deleted user

Heheh alright XD well, I don't use Photoshop so I don't really know how it works, but I do know it's similar to what I use. Have you tried to use the smudge? I often use it to clean my shading up if it's rendered properly, but for single toned shading, I doesn't need that.
And yeah, I noticed some of your lineart is a bit wobbly, but sometimes it's because of the tablet you're using XD do you work at a high resolution? Usually around 3000x2000 pixels is decent to get good lineart digitally, but I work at around 5000x4000 on my large pictures.

And thank you emoji I'm still new with R&C art, but I think I have improved very quickly since December (ugh, those images are so bad from then XD!) and yeah, I often choose to draw hard poses or odd ones, since I dislike copying poses from others, unless otherwise stated. But I will try to use references a bit more often.
And for my Digital art, I always sketch on paper first and then draw over it on the PC with PaintshopPro. But for Traditional art, I do it straight on paper and that's it.

And yeah, it isn't very noticeable but I like to go there often to give comments, rate and have a look around emoji

Ah, I use a 2000x2000 canvas XD Well, it's only in the last 2 or 3 pictures since I started doing decent linework, so it's not really noticeable yet.
I do like doing a sketchy style of lineart though, I'm not sure why, but I love how it looks. The smudge tool you say? I just use the rubber XD
Well, once I finish a picture, I save to web as a jpeg or whatever the file I want is, then I open the saved file back up in PS and I sharpen the picture a little to make the lines stand out more. This is what Whiplash and Ben does :P

Deleted user

Oh I see, that is quite small but fine for simple digital art XD (and some computers can't handle large images anyway… like my old PC, lol)

And yeah true, I noticed some of yours use a sketchy style, which is still nice though when drawn out well =D and yes, the smudge tool helps a lot, a lot of my art uses that (to make the shading smooth, and it helps with rendering fur as well)

Heh really? well I don't need to since I just use a high JPG quality setting and it usually comes out as I want, or just save them as a PNG

Hmmm, I could make a larger document, my laptop has 4 gig ram and a terabyte of memory XD
I just never really thought about it before :P

Deleted user

Rofl! well that's WAY more than my current PC, that's for sure XD (mine is a Windows XP though, with 3GB ram and 250GB of space) But mine can easily handle pics around 5000 pixels wide, including several layers. But your art looks pretty good already though, it'll be even better once you improve more too though emoji

And well, here's a step-by-step thing of one of my Ace drawings (from February though, so kinda old now), to show how I work on my digital art (before shading, that is heh) I think this is already in my concept art though.

User image
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9956/acehardlightdrawingstep.jpg

I still wish I could draw Ratchet properly though, I just need moar practice me thinks :S (I spend too much time drawing others, lol)

Oh cool! That looks great, I think I need to draw less Lombaxes lol :P

How do you make images appear in the comments? :S

Deleted user

Thanks =D it's actually a picture from February, but it's one of the better Ace pics I did (my first tries in December were…. AWFUL!) but I have yet to get better with Ratchet, in his Deadlocked armour too.
But I also draw armour and weapons with the vector lineart tool, not the tablet emoji (the rest is done with the tablet)

And I used this site http://imageshack.us/ you can upload images for free, and hotlink them too emoji then you can post your links to images here!

I do fan art but without a scanner i can't put it up. Which is a shame as most of the pictures i've made lately aren't the mutated monstrosities i usually draw emoji