Thread: Ratchet's Old Concept Designs

Deleted user

Share your thoughts and your opinions about Insomniac Games starting off the old Ratchet concept designs before the first Ratchet game was still in development.

Concept Designs
User image

The Final Official Design
User image

Is it just me or does the first design of Ratchet reminds you of Daxter mixed with a typical cartoon mutt? emoji

Is it just me or does the first design of Ratchet reminds you of Daxter mixed with a typical cartoon mutt? emoji

lol he sorta remind me of daxter mixed with a dog.

Perhaps the similarity with Daxter is why they changed it? emoji
I also notice that the fourth design seems to have more of a spanner than a wrench!

Yeah, that 3rd one kinda creeps me out emoji Also I've heard Ratchet's original Melee weapon was a blunt axe instead of a wrench

Nice

Deleted user
Perhaps the similarity with Daxter is why they changed it? emoji

Maybe. The first design does look pretty similar to Daxter's standing anatomy. Therefore, I would say thank goodness IG didn't wanted to make one of their iconic videogame characters a total rip off of something else. emoji

Nice

What makes these concepts nice? Your post could be marked as SPAM if you just say "Nice". Just making a suggestion there.

Yeah, that 3rd one kinda creeps me out emoji Also I've heard Ratchet's original Melee weapon was a blunt axe instead of a wrench

Usually drawing a character out in any kind of development would always start the character off with some strange bad a** material in them.

Sora from Kingdom Hearts started off as a hybrid human-lion kid holding a chainsaw in the process, until Square changed him into a spikey haired teenage boy holding a big key in the final product. See for yourself.

Sora's First Concept Design
User image

Sora's Official Design
User image

Deleted user

the third one is a bit odd to me as well. Clank looks alot different too- if you look at the 1st or 2nd one. he has a really long neck.

Deleted user
Clank looks alot different too. If you look at the 1st or 2nd one, he has a really long neck.

True, but I do have to admit that the old design of Clank looks rather unique and cool. Although, I prefer his official design of course. :oui:

I guess adding a long neck on Clank would probably been hard to animate, which could add a lot of problems once it is added to the gameplay. I also heard somewhere that Clank was officially going to be 3 robots at first, but Insomniac decided to stick with one robot instead due to the animations being too difficult if Clank was 3 robots in one. Which in my opinion, is understandable.

The 1st designes look so…weird, but the final one looks much better;P!

Deleted user

I think the 3rd and 4th design are better than the final one, altough it would be hard to do a model of those, atleast on the early PS2 days.

Deleted user

LOL The first one looks like a rabbit xD

Deleted user

Thank goodness they never went with the first few examples,they're hilarious emoji

Man, it was great when they showed these. Actually he never changed that much when he got his animal-like form emoji

xD some really messed up ideas thank god the final outcome was much better

xD some really messed up ideas thank god the final outcome was much better

Did you decide to bump? emoji