Thread: RC "veteran" asks, Should I buy this game?

So yeah, had alot of spare time lately and decided to start playing one of my favourite series ever which I used to play and love alot when I was younger, ratchet & clank. And for even my own surprise I really got hooked up to this, played all the games from first one to Gladiator/Deadlocked.
And now I would like to hear your opinions about the tools of destruction since Im not really sure is this still the same old good RC action as the first three games? Is the story how unique and interesting or just something very cliche and stuff? And does the game still contain some of that more "mature" humour as the third one had for example, really liked that stuff emoji! And lastly is Crack in time a full game or expansion set like Quest for Booty and is Tools of Destruction available to buy from PSN store?

Sorry if this is not the right place to post this or if this kind of posts are even allowed (new here :s)

A Crack in Time would be the actual follow-up to ToD, it's not just a small story to conect the two emoji
ToD is one of the best games ever, it's like the trilogy on PS2, but with way better graphics and an awesome storyline. But for the whole you will need all 3 games, the Future series. Which are Tools of Destruction, A Crack in Time and Quest for Booty. All 3 super great games, if you like the original PS2 games, you will love these!

As for the humor, it can't beat Ratchet & Clank 3, but sure made me laugh alot xD

Well Ratchet & Clank has evolved from the PS2. If you are willing to get (or have) a PS3 the Ratchet & Clank series on PS3 is just as good as it was on the PS2. So far the games out there include Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction (full game) Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty (mini-game available on PSN and retail for EU) Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (full game) Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (full game, available in stores and on PSN) and Ratchet & Clank: Qforce/Full Frontal Assault (coming soon)

Allow me to dive into these games and answer all of you're questions. Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and A Crack in Time are all linked in what is known in the US as the Future series, which is based around Ratchet's past and Clank's destiny. The games have gameplay that will be just as you remembered, with characters that you will know, and most importantly humor you will LOVE. However unlike the PS2 games the Future series are VERY story-strong. You thought Nefarious' vendetta against the 'squishies' was a nice story, you'll love the great plot Insomniac stirred up for these three unmissable games!

Tools of Destruction was designed very well, much like the PS2 games. It's like a true fourth game (not like Gladiator/Deadlocked wasn't great) as it seems to work like R&C3, but adds more features and has a serious graphics overhaul. The characters are lovable, the gameplay is excellent, the weapons make big explosions, the bad guy has an intimidating evil laugh, the humor is funny and the story is superb. You'll never live with yourself if you don't play Tools of Destruction emoji

Tools of Destruction will lead you to automatically get Quest for Booty and A Crack in Time, so I don't think I need to explain how great those games are, though I warn you All 4 One is NOT like the others.

If you are open to change you could like All 4 One, don't let it's reviews put you off, it's a beautiful game. See you can't control the camera, the online play is a bit glitchy and the fighting gets repetitive, but the scenes are marvelous, the story (while not A Crack in Time) is quite good, and the characters haven't changed a bit… except for their physical appearances… but if you're a true fan you'll be able to see past all that and appreciate what a great game it is.

If you don't know much about the games (story and all) I implore that you do NOT look them up, some spoilers will… spoil your experiences. Seriously don't look up anything, not even the main characters in A Crack in Time or All 4 One! Just play Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty and so on, and find out the galaxies greatest secrets by simply playing the game emoji

Woah, already 2 answers, glad to see rc still has active fanbase emoji. And the answers were pretty much what I wanted to hearemoji thank you! I'm definetly going to order the Tools of Destruction and the 2 expansions also. Not really sure about All 4 one and the upcoming game tho, but we'll see :/ . Just gotta setup the internet stuff for ps3 and check what I can get from PSN store. But anyways can't wait to see some new RC content after like a decade! emoji

Don't forget that they released the original 3 games on ps3 as well with full trophy support and other features.

I totally recommend the Future series emoji. As RatchetRuler said the only real differences are the improved graphics.
Gameplay style is very similar to UYA, the weapons make big explosions, the bad guys are appropriately incompetant and the humour is much the same.
Having recently play the original trilogy I think the Future series levels may be a little more linear than the originals, but there's so much to go back and find later it doesn't really matter.

Also, Clank's gameplay in A Crack in Time is the best he had in the whole series. If you like not terribly hard mind puzzles, you'll fall in love with it. But, just for you to know, Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time are NOT avaible on PS Store (Polish PS Store at least emoji ). Also, if you got someone to play with you, I totally reccomend All 4 One (playing it with someone sitting next to you is the best way to play that game).

I have one question; do you have a PSP? If so, then after you've played Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time you should hunt down the Ratchet & Clank comics! They are written by TJ Fixman (the guy who wrote Tools of Destruction through to Full Frontal Assault) and the story explains the gap between A Crack in Time and All 4 One very well. You could also buy the comics in written versions too, but it's not exactly easy to find, so that's why I recommend the digital version.

As for All 4 One. If you have a video shop near you (and after you played A Crack in Time) you should rent it out and give it a go, and if you don't like it then I don't see why you have to buy it. But if you do like it, then it couldn't hurt to pick up a copy emoji

Full Frontal Assault takes a turn around and tries to be more like the games before All 4 One, so I think it'll probably be a great success. But only time will tell.

And of course Ratchet & Clank still has a great fanbase! You should have seen the sales for A Crack in Time (the games came out 2 years ago, so it's pretty recent) I mean I don't know what the sales are, all I know is it's the second most popular Ratchet game in the series, after R&C3. That's only because the PS2 days there was no Xbox and less big titles like R&C, so R&C had much less competition. I think A Crack in Time is the best. But don't let that lead you to trying to read up about it on the internet, as you will run into a spoiler upon reading simply who is in the game…

Nice to see even more people have bothered to share their thoughs about Future series and all that positive comments about it just gets me more hyped about it emoji. And for Ratchetruler I unfortunately don't have PSP and Im not that much into comics anyways (not that I wouldn't be interested to know more about the story tho). And for the video shop, I do have few of those near but as far as Im concerned they pretty much rent movies haven't ever seen or heard about any place renting games, would like to have one tho :o. But if there's like demo of All 4 one in PSN store Id definetly check that out after playing the Future series.

But then I have one more question Im not really sure if any of you can answer :/. So yeah I was reading some reviews about the series games, reviews all hyped the game but one worrying thing I saw on one of those reviews (about Quest for Booty) and it was about the game being dubbed to finnish and that it doesn't have an option to switch it english. And yeah I would probably cry if I heard Ratchet speaking finnish (although they said it was done pretty well(surprisingly)). Another reason I would like to have english (with english subtitles too) is because I really wana hear like the original jokes in the game and on dubbed version which is made to make the game more entertaining for younger players who can't really understand english. So Im pretty sure all those naughty jokes etc. would pretty much be translated to a bit more child frendlier way… (Hope you can understand what I mean :s). And so, do you guys have in your own countries (if the main language is something else than english) are any of the games dubbed to your language and that it can't be changed or does your games have the option to select which language they speak (and also subtitles).

This message probably got really messy and Im sorry for that but just kinda wanting to make sure that I would get a game I can play with english voice acting and preferably also with english subtitles.

So you want the game in English? Simple solution, just buy one from the US or UK and have it shipped over to where you live. That should work (in EU Quest for Booty is on disc, though not in the US)

PS3 plays Bu-Ray games from all corners of the world, so don't worry about regional codes emoji

I don't think there s a demo for All 4 One, but if you can find one on PSN, then it would be worth downloading.

Nice to see even more people have bothered to share their thoughs about Future series and all that positive comments about it just gets me more hyped about it emoji. And for Ratchetruler I unfortunately don't have PSP and Im not that much into comics anyways (not that I wouldn't be interested to know more about the story tho). And for the video shop, I do have few of those near but as far as Im concerned they pretty much rent movies haven't ever seen or heard about any place renting games, would like to have one tho :o. But if there's like demo of All 4 one in PSN store Id definetly check that out after playing the Future series.

But then I have one more question Im not really sure if any of you can answer :/. So yeah I was reading some reviews about the series games, reviews all hyped the game but one worrying thing I saw on one of those reviews (about Quest for Booty) and it was about the game being dubbed to finnish and that it doesn't have an option to switch it english. And yeah I would probably cry if I heard Ratchet speaking finnish (although they said it was done pretty well(surprisingly)). Another reason I would like to have english (with english subtitles too) is because I really wana hear like the original jokes in the game and on dubbed version which is made to make the game more entertaining for younger players who can't really understand english. So Im pretty sure all those naughty jokes etc. would pretty much be translated to a bit more child frendlier way… (Hope you can understand what I mean :s). And so, do you guys have in your own countries (if the main language is something else than english) are any of the games dubbed to your language and that it can't be changed or does your games have the option to select which language they speak (and also subtitles).

This message probably got really messy and Im sorry for that but just kinda wanting to make sure that I would get a game I can play with english voice acting and preferably also with english subtitles.

Don't worry. I've got Polish A4O and it got ALL european dubs. You just need to change the system language to English (Settings/System Settings/System Language). Also, there is A4O demo in PSStore.

That's A4O, but how do we know Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and A Crack in Time will be the same? A4O is newer.

System language determines what language the game will be? That's quite interesting, could anyone confirm if it's the same with Future series games? And that would make sense actually that they don't make seperate games for different countries (except the US, EU and Japan versions). And that the game just checks your system language.

But yeah I really wana order those games already and get to play them emoji . I have found few sites which I could get all the games for rather cheap price (about 55-65€). And I'll order them right away if someone could confirm that system language thing. I would much rather order those games from some local store, because of shorter and cheaper shipping.

Anyways it's been really great to see how helpful and nice persons here are. emoji

System language determines what language the game will be? That's quite interesting, could anyone confirm if it's the same with Future series games? And that would make sense actually that they don't make seperate games for different countries (except the US, EU and Japan versions). And that the game just checks your system language.

But yeah I really wana order those games already and get to play them emoji . I have found few sites which I could get all the games for rather cheap price (about 55-65€). And I'll order them right away if someone could confirm that system language thing. I would much rather order those games from some local store, because of shorter and cheaper shipping.

Anyways it's been really great to see how helpful and nice persons here are. emoji

Well, I have checked it before with PS Move Heroes, A4O and LittleBigPlanet 2 (Polish PAL versions). In all those games, there was no language selection screen, but when I changed the system language, in-game language changed too (I listened to Ratchet speaking in English, German, Italian, Danish…emoji. I think it's same with Future Trilogy, but right now, I can't check it.

I could check (if I had my PS3 on my at the moment) but I don't know any other languages well enough to get back to changing it back to English… thogh I have pretty much memorized the menus emoji