Thread: Ratchet's Voice in the game

Deleted user

For anyone who have played the English version of the game, Ratchet's current voice actor, James Arnold Taylor, did not voice Ratchet in the first game but was voice by a different voice actor, also known as Mikey Kelley.

There was mixed reactions by fans when they heard Ratchet's voice in this title. Some people didn't mind his voice and thought it fitted the immature personality well, while others though it wasn't right for the character.

So the question, or questions, I want to ask you guys are…

1. What were your reactions when you heard Ratchet's voice in the first Ratchet and Clank game?

2. Did you liked Mikey's performance as Ratchet or did you thought it felt out of placed for the character and prefer James' performance as Ratchet instead?

In my opinion, I thought Mikey's performance as Ratchet would only work for this game only and not the sequels. At first his voice bugged me for a while, but I got used to it and he sounded quite good in some other cinematic moments. Ratchet's personality was pretty immature in this game and I think Mikey's voice work portrayed the personality pretty well throughout the game. Overall, Mikey's voice for Ratchet was good, but only for this particular Ratchet and Clank title, for I pick James' performance as Ratchet a little bit more.

So, what is your opinion about Ratchet's voice in the first game?
emoji

Deleted user

Hmm well I never really had a problem with his voice in any of the games but yeah, I do reckon Mikey suited Ratchet in the first game, because the voice sounded 'younger' and well, suited him because Ratchet was young back then and no where near as heroic as he is now (most of the time, he just wanted to have fun rather than help people, until near the end anyway) thankfully Clank helped change him into a better person XP but you can't blame Ratchet, living alone on a quiet planet for years XD

But I think James is perfect for Ratchet as he is now, and after the first game =D

I never really noticed that the voice was different when I played the first ratchet and clank after playing the future series. I knew there was something different about it, like his voice was slightly more grizzled than usual or something, but I just thought that this is how the voice actor used to sound. It didn't really bother me, It sounded kinda the same so i never noticed. Its only when I was looking up stuff for my presentation that I found out that there was two voice actors and then it all made sense to me.

I'm glad that they got James to do all of the other ratchet and clank games coz his voice is just perfect for Ratchet. I couldn't imagine him with any other voice.

(oh, and about the presentation, i'm gonna wait till I get back to college to upload it coz i'm currently off for easter and my home broadband sucks ass so uploads keeps failing at 5% emoji)

I never really noticed that the voice was different when I played the first ratchet and clank after playing the future series. I knew there was something different about it, like his voice was slightly more grizzled than usual or something, but I just thought that this is how the voice actor used to sound. It didn't really bother me, It sounded kinda the same so i never noticed. Its only when I was looking up stuff for my presentation that I found out that there was two voice actors and then it all made sense to me.

I'm glad that they got James to do all of the other ratchet and clank games coz his voice is just perfect for Ratchet. I couldn't imagine him with any other voice.

(oh, and about the presentation, i'm gonna wait till I get back to college to upload it coz i'm currently off for easter and my home broadband sucks ass so uploads keeps failing at 5% emoji)

Yeah, James does a great job, my voice sounds exactly like Ratchet's though. but with an aussie accent of course! emoji

Deleted user

yeah, I actually didn't notice he had a different voice actor in the first game too, when I played the first 3, until I saw so online of course. (Though of knew there was something different about it of course) but yeah like I said above, James is perfect for Ratchet as he is now anyway =D

Deleted user

It's a good thing that James still continues the role for Ratchet. He's got the right voice for the right character.

I wonder what it would be like if Mikey still played Ratchet in the other sequels? I don't think that's not going to work now because ever since the stories have gone more action packed with a bit of a deeper storytelling in the later games, especially in the Future Saga, it might make Mikey's performance WAAAYYYY too out of place if he continued voicing for Ratchet. I'm not insulting Mikey's acting or anything, but the voice he portrayed in the first game might be pretty awkward to hear if his voice was in the other Ratchet and Clank titles.

Yeah, James does a great job, my voice sounds exactly like Ratchet's though. but with an aussie accent of course!

cool, I wish I had similar traits to Ratchet too.

We can't all. It's good Ratchet sounds like a teenager!

I didn't mind the voice actor in the first ratchet and clank game but I liked the one in a crack in time better.

ACiT sounds great for Ratchet!

Maybe the American accent through out the game wasn't the best idea for every character….

You have a point!

I was only 10 when I played RaC 1, so I didn't really notice :P I guess I thought he sounded pretty cool in RaC 1 though, albiet a spoiled teenager. When I watched Johnny Test years later, I was like "OH MY GOSH, IT'S RATCHET :O" (James has an amazing vocal talent)

Lol!